Saturday, July 25, 2015

Embroidering the Dress


 The bottom picture of these two is a more accurate representation of the color. Also, cartridge pleats!
Pleats. Are harder than I thought they would be























I want to be able to remove the embroidery (in case I want to change it, and because from what I have read, ladies of the regency era tended to re-use lace and added bits, and alter their gowns to suit the current fashion).

An extant dress from the Met collection:

I think the embroidered parts are worked separately from the dress and then sewn on, but I could be wrong. My sleeves are a bit different, but I like the embroidered sleeves and neckline. This is worked in wool, (which is hard to find, and I am allergic to) and mine in embroidery floss and rayon thread.

I separated DMC 6 strand floss (#333) into individual strands, then threaded my needle with one strand of floss, and one strand of  Madeira rayon embroidery thread. Doubled up, I have two strands of each.

Hope I can finish my embroidery by the end of today... perhaps watching Angel while sewing is not the most time-effective thing to do, but hey, it's certainly enjoyable!








No comments:

Post a Comment